What do You Take When Moving Overseas?
Just the idea of packing it up and moving your household to another country can be stressful. But, in order to have a successful international relocation, it just takes a little careful planning and plenty of time. And think of it this way – it’s a great way to clean out all that junk you’ve been holding onto forever!
If you are moving overseas due to work, your employer may be paying for many of the expenses you incur, but up to a limit. So, you might not want to ship a large quantity overseas. Before you decide what to take with you and leave behind, double check with your human resources department to see what, if any, restrictions apply.
Remember, the more information you have, the easier it will be to decide what to take with you when you move overseas. If you can, take a trip to your host country and ask the following questions:
- What is the climate like? Will my antiques or valuables be damaged in this region?
- How big is your new house? Will all your furniture fit?
- Does the new house have appliances? Are your appliances compatible?
- Will you be able to buy household items in the host country? If not, should you stock up before you move?
- How long will you be living in your host country? If this is not a permanent move, you may want to consider storage options for the items you won’t be taking with you.
We know you want to make your international move as simple as possible. Why complicate things by moving a bunch of stuff you won’t even need while there?
Jon HuserBack to all blogs
Request a FREE Quote Now