New Year’s Checklist for Your New Home
The New Year, like a move, is like a fresh start. It also serves as a reminder to make checklists for all you want to accomplish in the next year. If you have just moved into a new home, you may have quite a long list of resolutions. MyBekins can help you get a head start on your New Year to-do! Here is a handy dandy checklist for your new home!
Make It Functional
When you are moving into your new home, you want to make sure that your home is not only organized, but also functional. Think about the following:
- In your entryway, designate a place to put your shoes, keys, and coat.
- Invest in a few clear containers to put odds and ends.
- Label boxes that you cannot see through.
- Place items you use on a daily basis out and so they are easily accessible.
- When unpacking boxes, focus on placing things where they make sense.
- Do a walk-through of your home and look for opportunities to improve organization.
Keep It Clean
Everyone has heard of spring-cleaning, but New Year cleaning is equally as refreshing. Before unpacking all your items, do a thorough deep clean of all the nooks and crannies, including:
- Wipe down kitchen cabinets inside and out.
- Place new liners in drawers and cabinets.
- Dust lamps and fans thoroughly.
- Wipe down baseboards and shelving.
Get to Know Your Home
After you have moved into your home, you may be in a rush to get all those boxes unpacked. You also need to get acquainted with the ins and outs of your new home. There are a few components in your home that you should immediately know the location of in case of an emergency. Locate the following:
- Water heater
- Water line shut off valve
- Gas line shut off valve
- Internet access and cable hookups
- Air conditioner
- Circuit breaker
Inspect for Safety
When you move into your new home, you want to ensure that it is safe for you and your family. Part of that is doing a thorough inspection and putting the right precautions in place. Do the following:
- Make sure you have a working smoke detector installed in each room.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home.
- Have a heating and cooling specialist maintain your system on a regular basis.
- If you smell any mildew or see any water stains in your home, call a roofer to check for leaks.
- Set a reminder on your phone or computer to go through this safety checklist every New Year.
If you need assistance moving into your new home this New Year, contact the professionals at myBekins. Call (877) 594-1187 for your free moving quote.Back to all blogs
Request a FREE Quote Now