I, Clarence Butler, was born and raised in the city of Redlands,Ca., and I’m a graduate of Redlands Senior High School and received my Associate of Arts Degree in Education from San Bernardino Valley College in San Bernardino,Ca. I’ve been married to Cheryl Brewington-Butler since November 23, 1968 and have three wonderful children, Clarence Darryl employed at the California School of Deaf in Riverside,Ca; twin daughters, Margaret Nicole, Undergraduate Admissions Counselor at UC Irvine, and Dedra Michelle, Assistant Athletic Director in charge of Academic and Student Affairs within UC Irvine’s Athletic Department; three grandsons, Marcus Tyler Butler 19, Luke Alexander Butler-Hoagland 11, and newly added Beau 7 years old.
My territory is based out of Redlands,Ca and extends as Far East to Banning,Ca and as far South to Sun City/Menifee,Ca, as far West to Claremont,Ca and as far North to the High Desert Cities of Hesperia, Apple Valley and Victorville,Ca.
I got into the industry in 1964 when Bekins signed up as a Union shop. At that time, my friend’s father-in-law owned his own black shoe shine parlor. The Union Steward asked him if he knew of any blacks he could encourage to apply for employment at Bekins in the Inland Empire since there were no blacks employed there at that time. He said, “yes”, and sent me and his son in law to submit our applications. I was hired two weeks later, on February 17 of 1964, worked in positions from bottom to top, and maintained industry relationships even after being drafted into the U.S. Army to serve for two years during the Vietnam era.
I have worked in this industry for near 53 years and have served in the following capacities:
- 1964 to 1966 helper/driver at Bekins Moving and Storage (BMS) in San Bernardino, CA
- 1966 to 1968 Non-Commission Training Officer (NCTO) in the US Army
- 1968 to 1972 Inside and Outside Sales Representative at BMS in San Bernardino,CA
- 1972 to 1977 Dispatcher/Operations Manager at BMS in San Bernardino,CA
- 1977 to 1990 District Manager to General Manager at BMS for the San Bernardino & San Gabriel Valley offices in CA
- 1990 to 1991 Vice Pres./General Manager of Mayflower Agency, Orange County, CA
- 1991 to 1995 Created Butler Relocation Services & sold to all major moving companies
- 1995 to 1998 Managed Global Van Lines agency out of Vista,CA
- 1998 to 2000 General Manager of Southern Nevada Movers-Atlas Agency in Las Vegas,NV
- 2000 to 2001 Acted as Sales Broker for Redlands Moving and Storage
- 2001 to 2003 Opened up and managed the 1st California Bekins A1 Agency for owner David Caruso in North Palm Springs, formerly called Legacy Moving Solutions,Inc.
- 2003 to present, Residential Sales Consultant at Bekins Moving Solutions,Inc. Santa Fe Springs,Ca
What I enjoy most about my job is the extensive travel and vast differences within the areas that I serve. In addition, I enjoy meeting new & interesting people in each city, as well as coming up with a price that is mutually agreeable by both the client and our company.
When I am not working, I enjoy spending time with family, extended family and friends, which is the Butler tradition. I look forward to meeting you and serving you with options towards satisfying your moving and storage needs.
They say that “moving is a traumatic experience” and it’s my job to take the trauma out of the experience.