GET A FREE MOVING QUOTE
Call Toll Free: (877) 594-1187
Bekins A-1 Movers Company Timeline
We’ve been doing this for quite some time; from horse drawn moving vans transporting across town back in 1891, to a network of facilities, wide spread fleet, and international capabilities today.
- Bekins was founded all the way back in 1891.
- When covered moving vans were first introduced, they carried the Bekins logo.
- Bekins led the moving and storage business away from horse drawn wagons with the first motorized truck in 1903. We’re betting the horses were happy about that.
- In 1906, the first concrete and steel warehouse was built by Bekins.
- The first transcontinental motor van move was completed carrying the Bekins name in 1928.
- The Caruso family founded Ace Moving & Storage in Wilkes Barre, PA in 1936.
- In 1984 the company expanded with the Allentown and Harrisburg branches opening.
- Ace M & S becomes Bekins A-1, joining with Bekins Van lines and opening the Woodbridge, VA branch in 1995.
- Later in 1995 Bekins leads an industry consortium to develop the CPM (Certified Professional Mover) program, a CD-Rom based training module used by AMSA.
- Bekins becomes the first van line to earn CPM status, in 1996.
- Bekins is the first van line to install a nationwide warehouse and storage management system for better order management and tracking in 1997.
- Also in 1997 Bekins opened a $4M driver training facility in Bolingbrook, IL.
- Expansion continues for Bekins A-1 with the Las Vegas, NV and Palm Desert, CA branches opening in 1999.
- Bekins won the Industry Innovator Award for utilizing technology to make tracking shipments faster in 2000.
- Livermore, CA location opens in 2001.
- 2003 marks the opening of Sarasota, FL and our San Diego, CA branch locations.
- In 2006 Bekins Moving Solutions (BMS) merges with Bekins A-1 bringing with it seven additional locations in California and Texas, and our Atlanta, GA and Chicago, IL locations open their doors.
- Keeping the ball rolling, Norfolk, VA, Tucson, AZ, and Phoenix, AZ branches are opened up in 2008
- Bekins became an inaugural member of the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA) Promover program in 2009.
- 2010 was the launch of myBekins.com, an industry first, interactive web portal.
- Jacksonville, FL branch opens its doors in 2012