Leading up to moving day:
- Check out reputable moving companies and get written estimates. Consider if you would like your items professionally packed or if you’ll be doing that by yourself.
- Create a move file to store information and collect expense receipts.
- Check school schedules and enrollment requirements.
- Get auto insurance quote for your new state if needed.
- Complete a change-of-address with the post office online.
- Aside from friends and family, make sure you provide your new address to medical facilities, schools, magazines to which you subscribe.
- Have a garage or moving sale. Donate anything that isn't sold to a reputable charity. You can find reputable tax deductable charities by visiting the IRS website.
- Arrange to pick up school records or have them sent to the new schools.
- Obtain appraisals for high-value items that will be moving.
- Notify your utilities and local services of your moving schedule. Contact new utilities and tell them when you plan to move in.
- Properly dispose of flammables such as aerosol cans, cleaning fluids, paint, ammunition, weed killer and acids... we don't want to move stuff that might damage your household goods.
- Drain oil and gas from your lawn mower and other power equipment.
- Clean the refrigerator and the freezer; allow them to dry one or two days with the doors open. Remember to block the doors to keep them from closing if you have small children or pets.
- If you decided on DIY packing we can sell you dicounted boxes (you can even buy boxes online and we'll bring them to you for free). Also, be sure to clearly label the contents and the room to which it should be delivered.
- Separate items you don't want Bekins to pack, such as suitcases, and just segregate from the items we’ll be packing/moving.
- Pack prescriptions and immediate necessities in an easy-to-access suitcase. If you are traveling by air, do not check this bag.
- Contact your homeowners insurance company at least 24 hours before you release your belongings to Bekins.
Finally moving day has arrived. Here are some last items to consider:
- Be on hand at your home when my Bekins arrives and during your move in case questions pop up.
- Discuss the delivery arrangements with your my Bekins Moving Coordinator.
- Strip the linens off your beds so we can take them apart and move as needed.
- Let us know how to get in touch with you during transit and all the contact details at your new home. (cell phones, emails, SMS/text, smoke signals, etc.)
- Relax and let us do our job.
Once we arrive with your belongings you’ll want to:
- Check off the goods as they arrive so you know everything is there and help direct us to the right room.